Dr Marco Bacigaluppi MD Neuroimmunology Unit San Raffaele Hospital Milan | Italy
Marco Bacigaluppi is currently researcher at the Neuroimmunology Unit, Institute of Experimental Neurology at the University Vita- Salute San Raffaele in Milan. During his early degree thesis in 2004 he specialized on the study of neural progenitor cells first in multiple sclerosis and afterwards in the field of ischemic stroke. After completing his Medical Degree in 2004 he spent, during his residency in Neurology, one year at the University Clinic in Zürich learning experimental modeling of stroke in the laboratory of Professor Dirk Hermann. Back in Milan, since 2007, he continues working as clinician in the Stroke Unit of San Raffaele Hospital and as researcher at the Neuroimmunology Unit. His main interest is on ischemic stroke with a main focus on understanding repair mechanism in cerebral ischemia and in particular on the role of inflammation in stroke of the elderly. Marco also started at San Raffaele Hospital a study group on cerebral thrombi of acute stroke patients and leukocyte subsets to deepen knowledge in human stroke related inflammatory mechanisms.
2014- ongoing. Researcher at the Neuroimmunology Unit and Staff Neurologist in the Stroke Unit at the Neurology Department, San Raffaele Hospital.
2010- 2013. PhD student at the Neuroimmunology Unit, Institute of Experimental Neurology (INSPE), San Raffaele Scientific Institute.
2004- 2009. Resident physician, at the Neurology Department of the San Raffaele Scientific Institute.
2006– 2007. Fellowship at the Neurological Department, University Hospital, Zurig, Switzerland.
5-7/2003. Research at the Institute of Neurology “Edinger Institut”, Frankfurt, Germany.
4/2013. PhD in Molecular Medicine, Experimental Neurology, Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milano, Italy.
11/2009. Clinical Board in Neurology (70/70 cum laude), Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milano, Italy.
7/2004. MD Degree (110/110 cum laude), Vita-Salute San Raffaele University, Milano, Italy.
2014-2018. Giovani Ricercatori, from the Italian Ministery of Health, bando 2011.
2016-2018. Ricerca biomedica condotta da giovani ricercatori, bando 2015.
– Fishing an anemone in the brain: embolized cardiac fibroelastoma revealed after stroke thrombectomy. Semerano A, Saliou G, Sanvito F, Genchi A, Gullotta GS, Michel P, Filippi M, Martino G, Strambo D, Bacigaluppi M. Eur Heart J. 2021 Jan 31:ehab019.
– Dampened Immune Response After Early Recurrence of Ischemic Stroke. Semerano A, Roveri L, Martino G, Filippi M, Bacigaluppi M.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020 Sep 15;76(11):1385-1387.
– FABP4 a novel therapeutic target in ischaemic stroke. Bacigaluppi M, Martino G. Eur Heart J. 2020 Sep 1;41(33):3181-3183
– Insights from thrombi retrieved in stroke due to large vessel occlusion. Bacigaluppi M, Semerano A, Gullotta GS, Strambo D.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2019 Aug;39(8):1433-1451.
– Thrombus hallmarks reveal atherothrombotic stroke aetiology. Semerano A, Genchi A, Callea M, Sanvito F, Simionato F, Panni P, Scomazzoni F, Doglioni C, Comi G, Falini A, Filippi M, Roveri L, Bacigaluppi M.J Neurol. 2019 Jun;266(6):1533-1535.
– Fine-Tuning of Sox17 and Canonical Wnt Coordinates the Permeability Properties of the Blood-Brain Barrier. Corada M, Orsenigo F, Bhat GP, Conze LL, Breviario F, Cunha SI, Claesson-Welsh L, Beznoussenko GV, Mironov AA, Bacigaluppi M, Martino G, Pitulescu ME, Adams RH, Magnusson P, Dejana E. Circ Res. 2019 Feb 15;124(4):511-525.
-Neural Stem Cell Transplantation Induces Stroke Recovery by Upregulating Glutamate Transporter GLT-1 in Astrocytes. Bacigaluppi M, Russo GL, Peruzzotti-Jametti L, Rossi S, Sandrone S, Butti E, De Ceglia R, Bergamaschi A, Motta C, Gallizioli M, Studer V, Colombo E, Farina C, Comi G, Politi LS, Muzio L, Villani C, Invernizzi RW, Hermann DM, Centonze D, Martino G.J Neurosci. 2016 Oct 12;36(41):10529-10544.
-Neurogenesis or non-neurogenesis: that is the question. Martino G, Butti E, Bacigaluppi M.J Clin Invest. 2014 Mar 3;124(3):970-3.
-Neurogenic and non-neurogenic functions of endogenous neural stem cells. Butti E, Cusimano M, Bacigaluppi M and Martino G. Frontiers Neuroscience. 2014 Apr 29;8:92.
-Safety and efficacy of transcranial direct current stimulation in acute experimental ischemic stroke. Peruzzotti-Jametti L, Cambiaghi M, Bacigaluppi M, Gallizioli M, Gaude E, Mari S, Sandrone S, Cursi M, Teneud L, Comi G, Musco G, Martino G, Leocani L.Stroke. 2013 Nov;44(11):3166-74.
-Subventricular zone neural progenitors protect striatal neurons from glutamatergic excitotoxicity. Butti, E, Bacigaluppi M, Rossi S, Cambiaghi M, Bari M, Cebrian Silla A, Brambilla E, Musella A, De Ceglia R, Teneud L, De Chiara V, D’Adamo P, Garcia-Verdugo JM, Comi G, Muzio L, Quattrini A, Leocani L, Maccarrone M, Centonze D and Martino G.Brain. 2012 135(Pt 11): 3320-3335.
-Therapeutic stem cell plasticity orchestrates tissue plasticity. Martino G, Bacigaluppi M, Peruzzotti-Jametti L. Brain. 2011 Jun;134(Pt 6):1585-7.
-Post-acute delivery of erythropoietin induces stroke recovery by promoting perilesional tissue remodelling and contralesional pyramidal tract plasticity. Reitmeir R, Kilic E, Kilic U, Bacigaluppi M, ElAli A, Salani G, Pluchino S, Gassmann M, Hermann DM.Brain. 2011 Jan;134(Pt 1):84-99.
-Delayed post-ischaemic neuroprotection following systemic neural stem cell transplantation involves multiple mechanisms. Bacigaluppi M, Pluchino S, Peruzzotti-Jametti L, Kilic E, Kilic U, Salani G, Brambilla E, West MJ, Comi G, Martino G, Hermann DM. Brain. 2009 Aug;132(Pt 8):2239-51.